View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #114
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Quite an original POV, If I substitute erotica with romance, and objetifying with looking for my charming prince, I have the standard comments that a romance reader gets from someone who doesn't like romance. I don't know if people is calling me crazy/silly because I can't say the difference between reality and fiction. Do you ask to people who read a lot of mystery novels if they view everybody as a suspected killer? Or do you ask to people who read a lot of sci-fi novels if they look at people as suspected aliens? If not, why is erotica different?
The idea that what we read affects how we view things is not an original POV. It's a fairly old idea, held by many people. In fact, I suspect it's why many people write books (apart from the desire to be known, make money, etc). Otherwise, why Orwell? Why Bradbury? etc.

Erotica is not different in the fact that it affects people--quite the opposite. I am arguing that it is the same, in that it affects people like other types of art affect people, and that it affects their views on things pertaining to the content. In this case, the content is sexual, so the affects are on a person's sexual viewpoint.

And I do know of some readers of thrillers/mysteries who are prone to see a potential murderer or abuser or mafioso around every corner.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote