View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I have been exchanging emails, and have learned that Jinke wants 500 piece order (at $230 a piece) to be paid for and shipped in a single lot.

Forget it. Even if I had $120k lying around, I could think of better ways to invest it.
This sounds familiar.

There was a German office supplies dealer in Palm oriented forums a while back, trying to drum up interest. HandEra was still in business as a device maker, with the TRG-Pro and HandEra 330. He wanted a color 330, because he felt he could sell a lot of them, and HandEra had reportedly made a prototype. HandEra wanted a firm order for 10,000 before they would make them. They were a small company who survived competing against Palm and Sony in the PDA market through rigorous cost controls, and weren't about to do a production run "on spec". If it didn't sell, it would sink them.

(HandEra is still around, but no longer manufactures devices. They are now engineering consultants for embedded hardware.)

And the NAEB folks had to come up with a minimum number of guaranteed orders (I don't reall how many) before they could do a deal with Bookeen for a customized Cybook.

Your experience with Jinke is not a surprise.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote