View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Kindlegen and negative indents

I don't know the technical term for what I'm doing; whether it's considered a "hanging" indent or otherwise.

Anyway. I can achieve what I want with a single paragraph by supplying Kindlegen with xhtml and simple css (with a negative "text-indent" attribute). Works great! But Kindlegen seems to ignore the same request for a negative paragraph indent inside a blockquote element (either with css or with attributes directly in the xhtml. I don't know if this is expected behavior or not, but I'm looking for a work-around, if so.

Basically I'm hand-crafting a TOC, and there are certain elements that I want to be nested (nested—only in a visual kind of way—nested). The problem is... the text for each entry in the TOC can be quite long, which causes them wrap to the next line on small screens. I'd like those that do wrap to be negatively indented by a small amount—so they don't look like a brand-new entry. This is a breeze to achieve at the parent level with a negative-indent css attribute. Kindlegen likes it so far. However... at the child level (inside a blockquote element) all requests to indent negatively are completely ignored.

Any suggestions/alternate solutions?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote