View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
NLight95
Connoisseur
NLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
PDF: Converting ANY PDF (with or without graphics) is difficult. No matter waht, you get weird hyphenation and paragraph breaking that can really disturb the flow of reading. I spent a lot of time testing different methods of converting PDFs to ePub, and realized they are actually easier to read as PDF on the Nook & Sony than as converted ePubs. YMMV.

Firmware: Sony sells their devices as-is. I believe the only firmware update they did were for the 505 when they switched from LRF to ePub. Nook has had 4 updates since launch in December (and I'm crossing my fingers for an update that includes file organization).

DRM: B&N and Sony each use different DRM methods, even though they both use ePub. B&N uses a key that is based on the credit card you have on file with them (your credit card is NOT stored in the book), and Sony uses the standard Adobe encryption, which I believe is based on a computer ID. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't care, as I strip the DRM no matter who I buy from.

Formats: Both Somy & B&N sell ePub as their primary format. B&N also offers books in a legacy format called eReader/.pdb - all the books I've downloaded via my Mac B&N software have been as .pdb, but if I download directly to my Nook, I get ePub versions of the same title. Sony sells LRF (their legacy format) and ePub.
Which device would you rate better overall for reading PDFs--the Sony or the nook? Can the nook zoom like the Sony?

I like firmware updates on all my devices (even my home DVD player, an oppo), so that's a minor drawback for the Sony. I just watched the video demo of Calibre. Apparently it converts any file your reader does not support. How good are these conversions?

Do you use Inept to strip Adobe's DRM?

So many Qs! I leaning towards the Sony because it seems a more open platform.
NLight95 is offline   Reply With Quote