Thread: iLiad mrxvt ported to iLiad
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 07:12 AM   #14
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
STICKY [This is a first draft, this message says to you: post isn't finished right now]

step-to-step-guide How to copy directories from CF/MMC to iLiad's USB drive without a PC
What you need to know
How you can start mrxvt

What you want
copy a directory from media card to iLiad. Wouldn't it be nice to do this without a PC? at the beach, in subway, you understand?

Steps
# run mrxvt via run.sh
# what you get is a terminal window, where you can run shell comands
# my terminal says /mnt/free/newpapers/Apps/mrxvt/ #
What does this mean? It shows you in which directory your mrxvt application lies. So this depends, where you copied the binary file [application] mrxvt.
# using mrxvt works this way:
1- you enter a command,
2- then you press enter,
3- mrxvt executes your command & creates a new line,
4- where can enter the next command.
# This will we do. Ok, first we need to change the directory first
type cd /mnt/cf [if you use a CF card] or cd /mnt/mmc [if you use a MMC card], then press "enter" button on keyboard.
terminal gets a new line, which lists the address you typed in. You are now at the lowest dir level [root] of you memory card.
cd stands for change directory, /mnt/cf is the address of root directory of CF card
# you can type ls -l if you want, a contents list of your memory card is shown, this may helps to choose the directory you want to copy.
sample output:
Code:
dr-xr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 Nov  3 11:45 Kryptologie
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Nov 11 17:18 LaTex
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Nov  6 13:28 Linux
drwxr-xr-x    6 root     root         4096 Sep  2 17:43 My Notes
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        23558 Mar 19  2004 pdf.ico
Reading the sample output above, We get following information:
sample root directory of memory card has got 4 dirs [Do you see the d in front of line? It's says, it's a dir]
What the hack is the rwx stuff?
r=read right, w=write right,x=execute right. In sample you have as user/root all rights.
# You can switch with cd command between levels of directories.
Code:
cd Linux
Code:
cd directoryname
with this command you change the current working directory to subdictionary directoryname.
with
Code:
cd ..
you can jump from your current directory a level up again.
# I decide to copy the directory "Kryptologie" with all subdirectories to the iLiad's Books USB drive.
How to do this. We can you use the copy command.
We type cp -r Kryptologie /mnt/free/books/Kryptologie
This copies the directory Kryptologie to the iLiad's book directory. It takes a while to copy, depending how large your files are, when the copy process is done, mrxvt creates a new line & is waiting for a new command.
general command is
Code:
cp -r /directory/to/copy/from /directory/to/copy/to
How can I exit mrxvt?
# press cross [top right of window] or
# type the command exit

a one-step-copy-process [if you know what you want to copy] in mrxvt could be:
Code:
cp -r /mnt/cf/directory/subdirectory /mnt/free/books/subdirectory
This copies the directory "subdirectory" with all it's subsubdirectories from CF to iLiad's book directory. This is quite handy. This command uses the absolute path address.

note to myself: I need to install fbshot. Some screenshots would be nice.

Q: Can you follow the instructions? Or did you found any mistakes?

a tip: with the up-arrow key on keyboard you can switch between commands you already used.

more information about shell commands:
# Linux man pages online
# linuxmanpages.com
# cp @wikipedia.

Last edited by yokos; 11-16-2006 at 06:40 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote