View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #212
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Something that I think may not have occurred to everyone yet: Sony may not consider the US market to be nearly as important as we do. For all we know may be planning to get the bulk of their profits from Asia and/or Europe, and the US market and consumers get lip service because in the bigger Sony scheme of things we're not as important?

If that is their assumption, that would explain a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
^ This is as good a guess as any. Maybe something akin to military strategy? Perhaps Sony sees the USA market as being lost to them already, what with Kindle and Nooks. So instead of waging a futile effort in a major way, they shift their primary focus to other global markets, where ereading hasn't become quite as engrained/popular...yet.

The world is bigger than USA after all

This would fit nicely with the recent announcement from Sony about pairing up with [? company forgotten] in this area, possibly only for Japan/Asia.
It is nice to see you guys finally come to a conclusion I offered 12 pages ahead in this thread. Makes me feel taken seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Sony is said to be no. 3 in the US and no. 1 in Europe and Russia.

Why should they stop selling their readers, when they dominate the developping markets?
This is from the parallel thread Will Kobo, Nook and Amazon Touch kill Sony?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
So give me a good reason why Sony should play by the US rules, where they are a good no. 3 and never will make it to the top no matter how much they drop their prices and invest in marketing.

This just makes no sense. Whereas it makes a lot of sense to invest in the developing markets over here where they already are the top brand and where it will be doable for them to stay in that position.

The US are more or less done ereaderwise, but the rest of the world is not.

So, why should they cater to the whims of the Americans? They have not done so before, why should they start now?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote