Thread: Mobi vs. ePub
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
This consumer was happy with mobi and is very angry at being forced to abandon it due to Amazon's policy and the lack of availability of new e-books in mobi format (unless of course you own a Kindle and live in the US). I don't like epub much, though it may be more due to the faults of reader software than any problem with the format as such.

There is too much formatting, in my opinion, included in the epub format and that cannot be overridden, at least in the version of ADE that comes with my Cybook Opus. So I've been reading books in a font that is harder to read than the font I was using before when I was reading mobi books on the Cybook. On the mobi version of the Cybook firmware, all I had to do was change the font in the settings menu and that applied to all books I read. I can't do that on the epub version. If I want to change the font I'd have to change the book's coding somehow.

I have been converting my mobi books to epub format using Calibre, and not paying much attention to the formatting options, which probably accounts for some of my frustration: the mobi books I have were produced by people who knew what they were doing, and the epubs were converted by me and probably done badly. Still, I can't help feeling I wouldn't have all these problems if the formatting options were left to the settings of the reader software, instead of hard-coded in the books.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote