View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #17
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Related question about footnote placement / formatting.

Is the 'dead tree' approach of putting footnotes at the bottom of the page or putting endnotes at the end of the chapter the best way for an ebook?
At the bottom of what page? If someone increases the font size, it could be 2-3 pages away. If they are long, they completely break the text flow and you can't just skip right over it like you do with a physical book.

For reasons that have already been stated, I tend to go for endnotes for speed (having a slow reader) and keeping the footnotes numbers out of the hundreds. For a book which in which footnotes are not citations, but actual information, I like them inline, so long as they are relatively short. I put them in .9 em and italic so they can be skipped over if the reader likes. I put them right at the end of the associated paragraph so what they apply to can be readily seen.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote