View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
snowwraith
snowwraith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
*incredibly* slow importing of Ebooks

Hello everyone.

I had hoped that my first posting on this forum regarding Calibre would be a positive one since, based on the software brief, this piece of software should be amazing and everything that the Sony's software isn't.

However, 3 *days* in and my collection of approximately 13,000 Ebooks is *still* being imported into Calibre (version 5.12) under Windows XP (SP3). After the initial import "finished" this afternoon I was presented with a prompt regarding duplicate books. I know these aren't duplicates and were probably due to naming conventions used in some of the titles, so I've allowed Calibre to add these. Now Calibre is presumably importing this unknown quantity of titles to the database, only this time with no progress bar due to the screen not updating - leaving just a white hole where the previous window had been.

To fend off any questions regarding harddrive speed I can copy the source files from 1 fixed permanent drive to the destination drive, another fixed drive, in 8 minutes. By all accounts the PDF files that my books are formatted as are not being converted (I did a binary file comparison of source and destination files of some books already done by Calibre) and therefore the importing process seems to be hung up somewhere in the creation of the database.

So, is this importing process normal? Why does it take so long to create entries in the database? I daren't kill off Calibre now through the task manager since I can see it's still grinding away via the CPU load against its task and I'd hate to lose the 3 days already lost via the import.

Perhaps as a future update, rather than show the % of import completed it should show a number of books completed out of the total identified by the initial scan? And the importing process needs some *serious* optimising, otherwise all the fine work that everyone has contributed to the package will be for nought since potential users won't get past the initial importing stage.

I'll keep waiting to see what happens in the hope Calibre finally finishes doing its importing and that I can then use the software.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by snowwraith; 05-22-2009 at 12:37 PM.
snowwraith is offline   Reply With Quote