Thread: Arc Kobo Arc
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #360
Eggbox
Eggbox began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc 32GB
Hi. I posted this elewhere and was told it was the wrong forum!! Is this the right one??

I'm a newbie Kobo Arc owner/reader but maybe not for long..

Having researched the Arc on the net with non of my friends owning a Kobo I bought an Arc from WHSmith last Saturday.

My first shock was the recommendations of books and videos displayed on the Arc screen. YouTube, it seems, thought I would be interested to watch videos of Girls in Prison; Chinese Torture and beheadings; Uncensored material from "Cruelest Death camp"; Chinese executions and Real execution scenes from Gas Chamber and electric chair; hangings etc.... and to read; MILF PICTURES - I'll show you my ass and Nude amateurs amongst many others.

Where does this come from? Are these standard lists for all Kobo buyers? From the pre-teen to the elderly? Worse, in the software, there seems no intuitive means of deleting these "recommendations".. There must be surely??

With three smart pre-teen grandchildren I now can't leave this tablet for them to explore.

Add to this (in my view) the quite pointless Discovery Bar which, through this forum, I find I can disable but not regain the real estate. If I were incapable of knowing what I wanted to read, see and hear could I not have had this as an option rather than be told "here it is, it is good and you will grow to like it!"

Are we really in an era where we are rendered incapable of doing our own researches and making our own discoveries and our own choices of what we need/want to watch and read on our screens rather than being locked into the whims of money making machines?

Maybe this can be sorted out. Or maybe Tablet life is not for me...
Eggbox is offline   Reply With Quote