View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
Yeah it does seem to be "pick the artifacts that bother you the least" with PDF conversion. I wish it wasn't such a popular format, hopefully a friendlier format will start to take over as the popularity of e-readers continues to grow.

I just got some insight into my issue as I was writing my reply. I was going to paste in a bit of sample text from a PDF, then convert it and paste in some results. I think my problem is a "carriage return line feed" type of issue. I noticed the text was formatted in such a way that wherever the text jumped to the next line in the PDF, the converted result had a full blank line inserted in. I remember an option about adding a line at paragraph breaks, perhaps I am triggering that inadvertently? I will experiment some more.

The problem I am having with Calibre's convert is it takes input like this small blurb form Brandon Sanderson's Elantris:
"ELANTRIS was beautiful, once. It was called the city of the gods: a place of
power. radiance, and magic. Visitors say that the very stones glowed with an
inner light, and that the city contained wondrous arcane marvels. At night,
Elantris shone like a great silvery fire, visible even from a great distance.
Yet, as magnificent as Elantris was, its inhabitants were more so. Their hair
a brilliant white, their skin an almost metallic silver. "

The same text from the converted Mobi file ends up looking like this on the Kindle:
"ELANTRIS was beautiful, once. It was called the city of the gods: a place of

power. radiance, and magic. Visitors say that the very stones glowed with an

inner light, and that the city contained wondrous arcane marvels. At night, Elantris

shone like a great silvery fire, visible even from a great distance.

Yet, as magnificent as Elantris was, its inhabitants were more so. Their hair

a brilliant white, their skin an almost metallic silver."

Actually it is too neat there still, here is a small jpg that shows the effect a bit better on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/45598342@N08/
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote