View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
I'm not clear what you're objecting to? It's pretty standard practice to use Sigil to prepare an epub file, run it through Kindle conversion and deliver both epub and mobi versions to the customer. Are you taking some sort of moral stance that epub should stay as epub, and mobi is the work of the devil? ;-)
Good lord no! I've never owned any other reading devices than Kindles, I absolutely adore Amazon! I often use Sigil to create epubs expressly for the purpose of converting those said ePubs to Kindle books. What I'm getting at is that there's the ePub format--always was, never intended to be anything else, "I'm making an ePub" ePub. And there's ePub that's intended to be converted to a Kindle Book. Often times, they're at odds with each other (in anything other than the most rudimentary of straight-up text presentation). So I would rather that ePub "best practices" discussions be concerned with ePub and little else. ePub--the mobi-source--best practices would be best discussed in MOBI/Kindle venues (along with the other legitimate ways of creating Kindle books). There's things I might do to ePubs that are going to be converted to Kindlebooks that I would never dream of doing in an ePub that was going to be delivered to an ePub-reading device/app; and vice-versa. If what you've described is indeed "pretty standard practice," then it's no wonder there's such horridly formatted ebooks out there.

I'm out for real this time. We're too far off topic, now.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-20-2013 at 04:24 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote