View Single Post
Old 10-15-2006, 09:39 PM   #14
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Hi,

You can really start anywhere with the majority of the novels. There are some multi-book stories, but many, many of them are one-offs. Just pick a Trek series you most enjoy, look at the back to make sure it's not part of a long arc, see if the plot piques your interest, then start.

One of the more interesting series, which I doubt very much are electronic, are the so-called Blish-books which were literally TV episodes rewritten in book format. If I recall correctly, they were re-issued in the late 80s, but I might not be remembering that right.

Oh, and if you're a fairly observant Star Trek fan, you'll note a lot of weird continuity errors. For instance, one book, "Strangers From The Sky," which tells a pretty detailed account of the Vulcans first contact with Humans, is almost all nullified by later stories. My understanding is that Paramount doesn't consider the books part of the so-called canon.

I had a lot of fun reading them when I did. Not so much anymore.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote