View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_ch View Post
Thank you very much for your fast, friendly and helpful reply! That helps a great deal, I did not know it was the same system ADE uses. That opens new sources of information And, maybe even the possibility to port the annotations to ADE? I'll have to look into that. My goal is basically to translate the Sony annotations to some other system, so that I can finally export the annotations together with the book to some other reader app. I don't like depending on one physical device in order to make use of my annotations. Understanding the system Sony uses is the first step to that.
I can understand that. When I started looking at annotations and reading positions, I considered getting them into the same format the calibre viewer uses. But, it doesn't support annotations. And I haven't broken down and started looking at it myself. But, it might be possible to generate the ADE annotations file. That could be useful. But, there is an id in it that I think needs to be updated for the different readers.

The Annotations plugin might be right for you, so long as you don't want to send them back to a device. The fetching and display works well. I had a misunderstanding about an intention of how part of this works. My usual use for annotations is temporary notes for things I need to fix in the book. GRiker intends it a more permanent notes. Once he explained that, I can see the reason for some of the behaviour that had baffled me.
Quote:
It's done in the exact same way the annotations are stored, just in a different table. The Sony reader contains a couple of SQLite DBs, the most important one being the books.db. Within the books.db, you'll find a table named "current_position". It has the structure seen in the attachment "current_position.png". This table contains a blob column called "mark", which encodes the location in the familiar way:
OEBPS/9781118087459c09.xhtml#point(/1/4/2/276/1:453)
If you are interested, you can pm me and I will send you the entire books.db, so that you can have a look at it first hand.
Firstly, the attachment isn't displaying. You might need a few more posts for that to work. Or did you forget to attach it?

This is what I store for the reading position:
Code:
(4)OEBPS/Text/119579.xhtml|@ @|OEBPS/Text/119579.xhtml#point(/1/4/260/1:61)
That comes from two columns on different rows in the Kobo database. The "|@ @|" is a separator I added so I only needed one column. And I could probably get rid of the first part with a bit of thought, but it was easier to do. If the Sony database works like you are describing, it should be easy* to transfer the reading between Sony and Kobo device. I almost wish I had a Sony device to try it on.

I would like to see the full database to confirm this. I'll send you a PM.

* "easy" - Term used by programmers to describe a programming task they haven't really looked at but will probably take months of work.