Thread: jack Vance
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #35
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Which books would recommend a Jack Vance newbie start with?
I would recommend The Dragon Masters but I'm interested in other recommendations.
Jack Vance is a writer that requires a science fiction "head" to really enjoy. His "best" work are the most difficult for a newbie to get into. (Stop pitching brickbats, fans, I'm buying each and ever one from Splatterlight as the come out!)

For the total newbie, the novelette Rumfuddle is the best starting point. Not too long, and very "now" driven. (In the collection The Moon Moth and Other Stories.)

After (or instead, if one has to have a novel first), I recommend The Rapparee (which I read as The Five Golden Bands). It has everything the series have, but boiled down into 1 moderate length novel.

After that, go anywhere. I will note I consider both The Dragon Masters and The Last Castle advanced reads for his style.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote