View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Unhappy Foxit eSlick Review - Quick

I received the Foxit eSlick and slick it's not. The firmware is an alpha release, at best.

The positives -

- natively reads DRMed PDB (eReader)
- reads ePub (unDRMed only)
- has a delete button which the Cybook Gen 3 doesn't

The negatives -

- There is absolutely no documents on the device. You are directed in the paper quick start guide to go to Foxit and download the guide. There are no PD books.

- Punctuation at the end of a line is pushed to the next line:

John ran to the store
. <---- see how the period is on the next line.

This happens in both pdb and ePub files.

- Metadata is not read. So your book title is the file name. Most of the secured PDBs have nonsense numerical file names so it's difficult to figure out which book is which.

- No metadata means no book cover thumbnails, instead you get an icon that tells you the file type.

- terrible PDF reflow with pages cut off.

- no dictionary support as in the eReader application.

- one font.

You also get copies of Foxit PDF software but I haven't had a chance to look at that.

It takes awhile to actually enter in the info needed to unlock a PDB secured book. When opening you are presented with a screen to enter in the user name and password. Below is an onscreen keyboard that you navigate with the square button. It took me 5 minutes to enter in my name and CC number to unlock the book. To move from the box where you enter in your name to the box where you enter in your CC requires you to hit the "tab" on the onscreen keyboard. Once all information is entered than you need to hit "Return" on the keyboard. A long, tedious task on an eInk keyboard.

I'm glad that I used my eReader rewards to purchase this because as is it's far less capable than the Cybook Gen 3. A huge disappointment for me because I wanted the Fictionwise/eReader eInk reader to be at least as good as the Gen 3 but it falls short.

Sure hope they're planning a firmware upgrade.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote