View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
No RTL support in ADE either :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Kindle doesn't support right-to-left text, in fact, as far as I know, the Mobipocket format doesn't.
I was afraid you'd say that. It's a pity that they're excluding a huge potential marked by not providing RTL support. Too me that's a real bummer. I found a nice free Arabic-English word list that I thought about converting to the MOBI format, because so far the Kindle apps are the only apps that offer integrated dictionary lookups. But without a way of easily converting Arabic etexts to MOBI files it's pretty much pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Last time I checked, ADE didn't support it either, where did you try the ePUB?
You're right again. I only tested my ePUB with the Firefox ePUB Reader plug-in, which displays it exactly as it should be, but neither ADE nor ADE-based ebook Readers display the Arabic characters, and even if they did, they'd probably have the same problem as the Kindle apps, because I could tell from the length of the individual words, that they also do not support RTL text.

I do hope that RTL support will be added to the next version of ePUB standard and MOBI file spec.

P.S.: Since there's always the possibility that I incorrectly encoded the Arabic text, I attached a .zip file containing the epub and mobi files, the mobi sources and a pdf of what the output should like.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RTL Test.zip (48.8 KB, 808 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote