View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There is no reason to keep needing YOUR file structure.
Calibre can search/select and DELIVER by far more refined criteria than any STRUCTURE based method can supply

Tags, Author, Publisher,Title(words),Series (sometimes GIGO),Published Date and any other field you might conceive (and populate)
Calibre is a Database. You get to databasey type things that can not be done with a file system only search.
Although I agree with you, there are a lot of people who are too stubborn to give up their hierarchical file system for a database-driven system. I know, because I was that way myself for the longest time, so I can certainly understand where naxman is coming from.

However, there is a way to compromise. You can use Calibre to convert and still keep your hierarchical file system. It takes some work up front, but you only have to do this once.

The key is to set up a save-to-disk template to re-create your file structure. This may involve setting up custom columns to store the information needed about the folder names, etc.

Once you have everything set up correctly, then to convert a book you would import it into Calibre, populate the columns, convert, and save to disk. If you don't want to maintain a library, delete the book from Calibre afterward.

I ran Calibre like this for a year before I decided to experiment with its library management features, and instantly got hooked.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote