Thread: N2Aos
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
cicsos2
Enthusiast
cicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to behold

Device: kindle Kbd, Fire(N2A), & 8.9
What about this N2Aos

1. There are currently 4 versions of the Kindle Fire "tablet". There have three 7 inch screen and one 8.9 inch screen
* The original Kindle Fire
* The 2nd generation Kindle Fire - more memory and a better pocessor, for example
* The Kindle Fire HD 7 inch - more memory and better screen
* The Kindle Fire HD 8.9 - more memory, better screen, also can come with 4g radio

2. Each of these comes with a version of the Android operating system that has been customized by Amazon. The intent is to provide a device oriented toward the delivery of material (books, movies, music, apps) from Amazon. Historically, the Kindle system can be considered as a "closed" system. While it is possible to add some capabilities, the device is always dependent on Amazon.

3. For many, if not the majority, users this is fine. Ever since I got my first Kindle e-ink reader, I was one of these.

4. The original Kindle Fire is now what I would described as a "stablized" device, much like my Kindle 2 and Kindle Keyboard. None of these are being produced and their respective operating systems are no longer being updated. My old e-ink devices are "out on loan" and my Kindle Fire was last used to watch some movies I downloaded on a trip.

5. The Android operating system is produced by Google. There are myriad tablets on the market today with different levels of Android, most are 4.1. Android is also used on many smart phones. I wonder how many of these devices can actually be updated to newer levels.

6. At the end of June I came across a reference to a company called N2A that was selling a plug-in memory card that would turn the Nook into an Android 4.1 based system, and add additional memory. I then saw that this company also had a N2A OS option that can do something similar for the Kindle Fire, both 1st and 2nd generation). The difference being that the upgrade would remove the original Kindle operating system and install an Android 4.2.2 system with some customized functions to provide better support for the Fire. The Kindle version does cost $20.

7. The N2A OS folks are also working on the next upgrade that will support the HD models. You an find more information on their FB pages.

8. Also, and potentially very important, they have a free package that can restore an original Kindle operating system.

9. The point of the above ramblings is to tell you, if you have read this far, that this has been the best $20 I spent in a long time and has breathed new life into my Kindle Fire (maybe I need to call it my Kindle Android Fire).
cicsos2 is offline   Reply With Quote