View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML, Onyx Boox Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-ink View Post
Does that mean it's compiled into T2's kernel and therefore doesn't exist as a module? Or are the proprietary drivers not part of the kernel source? I mean in form of binaries of course
Let me try to clarify: T2's display driver consists of two components: an updated mxc_epdc_fb driver (with extension hooks) that likely is compiled into the T2 kernel; and (probably – I haven't seen it yet) a proprietary extension using those hooks that likely comes as a kernel module. The latter does not work without the former, because the extension hooks are missing. (That's also why I think Sony might be violating the GPL.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-ink View Post
What general problems you might gonna run into if you compile the T2 kernel and run it on the T1?
It probably will not work at all?

I'd start by using the T1 kernel sources and replacing the T1 video driver with the T2 video driver (they're compatible). Alternatively, the T2 sources also appear to come with support for the T1 platform, so you could try compiling a T1 kernel from those.

With luck, the proprietary T2 module loads into the resulting kernel on the T1, but as I indicated in an earlier posting, there are various reasons why that might not work out.
altruizine is offline   Reply With Quote