View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #39
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportourer1 View Post
All self promotion of an eBook becomes a waste of time after the first few months when the book becomes buried under the avalanche of new work
I'd think that after the first few months is exactly when self-promotion helps most--it can entice new readers who wouldn't otherwise notice the book.

If a book is "buried under the avalanche of new work," then its early readers must not have cared enough to promote it. Maybe they didn't know how, or got distracted, or are waiting a while to read it. But certainly, after the initial rush of "hey, this is new! Looks cool!" sales have died off, it's a good time for authors to visit promo-friendly sites and say, "Here's my newest; let me tell you what's interesting about it."

In the case of ebooks, readers sometimes aren't sure how to promote them to friends; the methods we use for print books don't translate well to ebooks. For print, I can say, "I loved this--here, you borrow it for a week and see if you like it." Even if they don't buy a new copy, they'll consider that author's next work if they liked it. But for ebooks, it's just "I loved this--download a short excerpt to see if you have any interest at all, then pay $3-16 and see if you like it."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote