View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #176
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
100% they'll mention it as one of many things it can do. And probably focus a lot on newspapers and magazines as that's what it will do better than smaller devices and e-ink (at least mags since they need color).
I hope you're right, though I don't see an Apple tablet impacting sales of dedicated readers. It targets a different market.

Quote:
I think they'll mention that a good bit. Show it off as a great web browser--with the ability to do HD streaming video etc.--making Netbooks not very useful (assuming you already have a full fledged laptop/PC at home for keyboard required tasks). And show off a bunch of Apps for various things to show all the different stuff it can do, and the endless possibilities with the app store.

Not that I necessarily think it will be great at doing all that stuff, but that's the spin I anticipate.
I think you're probably on target. I don't really see it competing with most netbooks, either. I know a fair number of folks who have them, and what they wanted was a smaller, lighter device they could carry instead of a laptop that would handle, say, 80% of what their laptop did. But that 80% included things like email that required a keyboard.

Stuff that requires a quick machine that can do web browsing and media viewing/playing are good use cases - folks can read news on line, surf web sites, play music, and look at pictures and watch video. I suspect the single largest use for this will be YouTube.

If you do need a keyboard the equation changes. I wonder what options will emerge for adding one, either by USB cable or Bluetooth or the like.

The other big question is how many folks will carry one around, and why. Dedicated readers and netbooks are wins precisely because they are portable, and people toss them in a briefcase, shoulder bag or the like and take them along when they go places.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote