View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch, Voyage
Sigil has trashed more files

Several weeks ago I reported a bug on the Sigil website, that the program had truncated one of the files in the book. I was able to recover that file. After that I saved before I did anything like split and merge and checked that all was well before I saved again. I finally got through the first pass and had gone back to proofread, when I discovered two more files that had been truncated. I was able to recover those from a backup I had made at the time of the first problem. Now, this morning I added a cover page and cover and wanted to see what it looked like in Kindle Previewer. Previewer couldn't compile the book. Why? Too many unresolvable links in the toc. Three more truncated files. One, the only thing that is left is the heading.

The only place those edited files exist is in the last mobi file created by Previewer, and I don't know if it's even possible to get at those.

So, all that's left I guess is to go back to the raw files and rebuild the truncated files from scratch. A LOT of work. And, of course, I'll have to find some other program to do this with, lest Sigil trash more files in the process. And I'll have to keep Sigil running while I do this and pray Windows doesn't do and update before I get it done. No telling what Sigil would do with all those unresolvable links, probably throw them away.

Version 0.7.1, but I've downloaded at least two new versions while working on this book. (Oh, and you moved the Windows versions from Program Files to Program Files (x86), so my registry's screwed up somewhere and I can no longer use Open with for Sigil. Thanks.)

There's no real question here, I'm just venting. Of course, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. Have a nice day.

What's left of the above mentioned file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?><?eml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
  <head>
    <title>part0001</title>
    <meta content="abbyy to epub tool, v0.2" name="generator"/>
    <link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
    <meta content="application/xhtml+xml; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type"/>
  </head>
  <body>
<div class="hdg" id="July3">
<p class="rt">Wednesday, July 3, 1867</p>
<h1>July 3, 1867</h1>
</div>

<p class="rt"><b>Wednesday,</b> <i>July</i>  3, 1867.</p>

<div class="hdg" id="ljamcmillan">
<p class="rt">Wednesday, July 3, 1867</p>
</div></body></html>
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote