View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #34
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I agree with that in general, but in the specific instance where it is a book that you have a moral problem with, it hardly seems right to pass it along to another person. On the other hand, maybe that is the best way to read some of these books - used. Encourage people who want to read them to get them used so as not to support the author that you find detestable. While someone may have an objectionable past (or present), they can still put out interesting tales and buying used and encouraging that might satisfy your own principles.
I faced that issue once with a series of books I won't glorify by naming. A few books into the series there was a brutal, sadistic torture-rape way above and beyond any violence that had appeared up to that point, and I felt traumatized for having read it. I finished the following chapter in a numb state, considered how to proceed, and despite my general (and generally unconditional) reverence for books, sent the lot of them to the landfill. They were unclean things, and I could not in good conscience allow them to pass from my hands into anyone else's.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote