View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #229
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_s View Post
I guess I would qualify, I'm a debian user myself. But my fastest box is still only 32 bits and VirtualBox is efficient enough that I don't think I lose much by using it. Yes it is painful to have to shuffle files through so many real and virtual machines but in the end that's a detail, I can write scripts to hide all that stuff. And being 100% certain that nothing I do is going to mess with my main computer probably makes up for that disadvantage.
Unless you want to use anjuta IDE or the oprofile UI, there is no need for an additional VM if you are using a linux machine already. Trust me, I was in the same mood.

All the DR devel packages goes in "/usr/local/poky" directory so you won't mess your desktop.

An additional problem when using a VM is the screen resolution. In the devel machine you will also run the DR emulator, and unless you have a graphic card and monitor with high resolutions, you'll need to switch to fullscreen often to see the complete DR screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_s View Post
The real question for me is how to get a working development environment. I'm a bit of a newbie in this department and would really like something that 'just works'. So far building kernels hasn't been a problem. But how to get a working emulator without the stuff in debian.o-hand.com? I guess I can just try and get back to this thread when I get stuck.
It's quite easy. The same instructions for both your own desktop or your VM:
1. check you have installed the packages stated on section 2.1 (common devel packages for a linux machine)
2. install sdk as section 2.2 says (i.e., uncompress and copy into /usr/local/poky), and don't forget the "environment-setup" shell script to enter into DR cross-compiling environment.

Iņigo

Last edited by Iņigo; 07-20-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote