View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
ArrissGC
Edge User

OK, I've been conceptualising an integrated desk app to manage in a traditional(read old) way books, journals, references, links, bibliographies, etc. The prime use of this system would be an effective project(homework, research, subject or productions) manager that simplifies access to ALL related material with on click.

How I invisage it is as an older style desk at the botom of the screen with 3 or 4 shelves above(minimum height 1" each on the EE screen). Working down the top 1 or 2 sheves are for general books(e.g. novels, magazines, poetry, etc.) With the lower pair for reference books, one for all reference books available with the other shelf split between general reference(dictionary, thesaurus, atlas, etc,) and project binders. The back of the desktop below the botom shelf is where wiget like displays can be placed.

Without going into more detail I had this worked out before I found Calibre or had access to a Android device. Once I used Calibre it did in detail many of the things I had thought of. A couple of things that are likely to be very useful are the saved tag sorting(I looked at this as a way to customise catalogue drawers, like library catalogues 20 or more years ago, with each drawer presenting a result set in the form of "cards".) The second being the visual cover display that equates to the shelves but done in a less resource hungry way.

I planned that each shelf was a display for a predefined search, in effect displaying a data list. I had some concerns about processing on the EE and planned to have a desktop computer generate the lists and just have EE display them. But I may have been overly pessimistic. Anyway each shelf object would have the same responce to user input, namely tap on the horizontal of the shelf changes the sort order(e.g. title, author, etc.). Tap and swipe scrolls the shelf in the swipe direction. Tap on the verticle sections swaps the contents of the shelf with the next group depending on direction and a tap and swipe up or down canges the search criterion(I liken this to categories). There are other combinations but I'm running out of battery.

I'll try to send my simple outline journal doc.

Last edited by ArrissGC; 09-09-2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: try to attach journal, nope didn't work.