View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #42
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post

I'm so old that I can remember how odd it was to sing "God save the Queen" rather than "God save the King" - which we did have to sing every morning at school. I'm glad your schooling was a bit more firmly into the 20th century than mine!

I was never an Empire fan but when QE II came to the throne, I made a scrapbook as a school project {I was only 13 }. My mother saved it and now my "Queen Elizabeth Scrapbook" has become a standing family joke!

. . . . . . . . . . .

To return to the novel, {and Thank You so much Bookpossum for suggesting it!] it lends itself wonderfully well to discussion as the previous posts have made clear. I'll limit myself to a couple of thoughts.

I have some reservations concerning the opening London setting. I feel that it is too spun out for what is essentially a prelude to the main event. It does, however, provide an interesting parallel between two “secret” rivers:--one in London--the other in Australia. In both locations Thornhill makes moral decisions which influence him as a person and as a member of his society. Both times he chooses wrongly. In London he decides to carry out a criminal act which eventually causes himself and Sal to be exiled. In Australia the decision he makes is also wrong and the consequences are catastrophic for an entire culture. Because of his choices he fails to grow as a human being and despite social success remains plagued by a niggling doubt.

For me the character of Thornhill is the most powerful focus in this novel--particularly when the Australian section begins. He is caught between the hateful racism of Smasher Sullivan and the tolerant respect of Blackwood. While Thornhill is essentially a decent man who loves his wife and family, he is confused and upset by the very different life-style of the Aborigines. Sal actually has an epiphany when she realises that the Native Australians share her common humanity. Thorhnill comes very close to this realisation himself, but when he decides to join Smasher’s “posse”, ironically because he feels it is the only way to hold on to Sal, he loses that possibility of moral growth.

This is his essential tragedy despite the apparent social success he achieves.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 10-30-2013 at 08:51 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote