View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmonk View Post
I don't. Calibre does an insanely good job with a million formats, and asking to reinvent the wheel seems silly... Remember the UNIX philosophy!

Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a universal interface
To tell you the truth, I don't necessarily subscribe to the UNIX philosophy.

It works OK for UNIX which ships with all these different userland tools that you can chain together in interesting and useful ways, but that's hardly the case for Windows... which on last count represents ~92% of the market and the vast majority of Sigil's users, too.

Requiring users to have calibre installed is not something I'm aiming for. It's a wonderful application, to be sure, but Sigil should be able to stand on its own as an ebook editor, which means being able to import various ebook formats.

It's just something you'd expect of an ebook editor, now wouldn't you?
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote