View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #54
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I'm still on a six year old desktop running Windows XP, and I dread the day I have to get a new desktop - probably next year, if XP support runs out then.

I'd hope I can still get a Windows 7 desktop then; if not, I'm in trouble as the majority of tools/programs we use for work don't run on Windows 8 or run with problems. (These are proprietary, custom-made tools by our clients, who require using very specific versions and builds of their own tools, so it's not a case of "can probably find something similar that would work".)

I have a fairly new laptop with Windows 7 as my backup computer and for use with those work tools that won't run on XP, but even a laptop (business grade Dell, 15.6'' monitor, full keyboard with numpad) is dreadful for work purposes - I need much more screen space and a large keyboard for starters. I suppose I could use a docking station but as I work from home and don't ever carry the laptop with me, it would be pretty useless - especially as I also need a lot of hard drive space.

So... yeah. I'm just hoping that good desktops won't be going away any time soon. And that Windows 7 is still available next year (we also have a few tools that don't run on Windows 7 and require Windows XP, but they do run in Windows XP Mode on Windows 7 Pro so that would be solvable, if not ideal).

I have an iPad which I use for web surfing when away from the desktop, e.g. to quickly look something up or check some social networks while in bed reading on the Kindle, but I can't imagine using it as my primary computing tool - even if I didn't have very specific requirements that make a desktop the optimal device, even typing tweets is irritating on the virtual keyboard, never mind any longer texts.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote