View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Oh boy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter2 View Post
It's pretty clear to me that using the "save as HTML" is NOT the answer for importing Word docs.
While Word's HTML output is horrible, a lot of people are importing it into Sigil with great success, myself included.

Quote:
my file has some spacing, drop caps, and underlines. all of which turned into literally pages of un-wanted tags. fine. I hand stripped everything out, saved as HTML, and made sure there was no javascript in the resulting code. but, I STILL got the empty white page of death in sigil.

no problem, I tired save as RTF. Nope, again, the white page of death in Sigil.
How about attaching your HTML file to a new issue on the tracker? I've suggested this to you already. If you add the "Private" tag, no one but you and me will be able to see it.

You should never see a white page after importing.

Quote:
I tired many different and simple text sniplets, all crash when attempting to load into sigil as HTML.
Try Sigil 0.2.0β3.

Quote:
1. how do I get paragraphs to indent automatically? the default is left aligned blocks of text, not very attractive. I see no way to fix it. i tried altering a P tag in the CSS area but I could only get the inter-paragraph spaces to go away, not get a leading indent.
Try this CSS code:

Code:
p {
    text-indent:30px;
}
Feel free to change the pixel value.

Quote:
2. why on earth does the entire document reload at the very start whenever you change anything in the code window? talk about irritating...especially in a 249 page document...there's no quick way to return.
Try Sigil 0.2.0β3.

Quote:
I also noted that when saving, the program automatically appends .sgf to the file name, this makes saving as an epub file impossible. you have to go in and edit the file name to get rid of this quirk before saving as an epub file.
Try Sigil 0.2.0β3.

Quote:
one last thing that remains a mystery to me, does the TOC ever appear anywhere in the document? I have my entries in it, but within sigil, I can't see it or use it for navigation at all. how on earth do you make it actually appear? The wiki tutorial says zip on this topic.
An epub is not a DOC file. While DOCs have an "inline" TOC (a TOC in the very text of the document), an epub does not. Here, the TOC is external and placed inside the NCX file inside the epub archive.

People reading your epub book will be able to access the TOC through an always available menu entry. This is "the epub way".

Of course, you can also make an inline TOC with links by hand, but I personally suggest you don't. The NCX TOC is there for a reason, and is more usable than an inline one to which you have to manually scroll etc. It also displays according to the UX of the Reading System: the Sony PRS-505 shows it as a menu, ADE shows it in a tab on the left of the screen etc.

Last edited by Valloric; 03-24-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote