View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #13
emaxt6
emaxt6 began at the beginning.

Device: gen3
Yeah, I like folders too and they are fine but I think the future directions are to include a more refined "tag" (or collections like "sonies", named it as you want) in ebook systems.
"Tags" allows logical views and I think are more related to the "nature" of a book ( this is actually the system most physical libraries adopt);
a hierarchy (like a filesystem, father-son) force you to think in a forward and oneway static direction.
Let's say that I have mine well done folders in cybook based on author name, it's ok and works well, but what if I need to add another layer of categorization in my current collection now.

ie. I can classify "The Pathology of Normality" with attributes like "E. Fromm", "Sociology", "Psychology" and maybe "Anthropology".
The book will appear in all the above aforementioned logical folders (or tags) among others with the same specific tags.

For example Calibre supports this kind of view and - yes - one can say that in the current landscape the implementation attempt of this concept is quite bare, but I definitely say that this will definitely be the standard to go in current and future ebook software.
emaxt6 is offline   Reply With Quote