View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Calibre PDF conversions - LRF/EPUB vs RTF

I have been experimenting with Calibre's PDF conversions with varying results.

The thing that struck me most is the difference in the success of the PDF conversion depending on the choice of output format. LRF, EPUB, LIT are much better than RTF. -- See my 2nd post for details.

For many books you would just read the LRF/EPUB once and move onto the next book. However, sometimes you have a favourite book you will want to read many times and you are prepared to put some effort into making it look as good as possible. In these cases being able to convert the PDF to something easily editable, like RTF, is a real bonus. You can then re-upload your finished labour-of-love to Calibre for posterity.

My question is this. Are the problems converting to RTF a Calibre defect or some limitation of the RTF format? Or could it be some conversion paramenter I haven't set correctly?

Whilst I'm on the subject, it would also be nice to have HTML as an output format which is easily editable. I know you can convert LIT to HTML with 3rd party products (with variable results) but doing everything in Calibre would be great. Are there any plans for this?

I'd also like to say that, despite anything I may have said in this post, Calibre's conversion of PDF (for the novels I've tried) is still way better than most of the other PDF-to-Word converter programs I've been able to try.

-- Jackie
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote