View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #26
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Speaking as a mere observer, to what sign would you be referring? I would like to see comparative results of actual ebook sales prior and post-agency model pricing. It might prove to be interesting.
Well, every time I look at the boycott thread at the Amazon forums, I see the same 20 or 30 people posting. Also, no significant media attention, no real action outside not buying to call attention to the "cause" (protests, op-ed campaigns, etc.). Is any of this required? No, but it does help a boycott's cause if more than a relatively insular group are even aware of it. I doubt that most Kindle users who don't visit the forums even know it exists.

I have no doubt that a small group of people -- maybe 100, heck, maybe even 500 -- take this very seriously. But Amazon has sold tens of thousands of Kindles by the most conservative estimates. Do the die-hards have some effect on the publisher's sales? Sure. Some effect. But personally, I see no critical mass that would force publishers to lower prices.

Also, it helps a boycott along if you are sure the sellers of the product really want to sell it. I'm not sure that's true here. I think at least one of the big six would be happy to see ebooks wither and die.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote