View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #24
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
No, I'm not participating and no, I don't think it's working. A boycott only works if you have a critical mass, and there's no sign of that.

I am also pretty price sensitive, but paying $12.99 for a new release where the hardback is $18 or $19 is something I'm occasionally willing to do. OTOH, nothing irritates me more than a backlist title that has a $6.99 paperback available and the ebook has a higher price.
I'm sort of participating. I'm finding myself reading a lot of free public domain classics that I've never read. (Next in que is David Copperfield which I have to admit in high school I only read the cliff notes!!) I started a thread a couple of weeks ago about ebook prices higher than their paperback counter parts. That irritates me more than 12.99 or 13.99 for an ebook of a new released hardback. I have a few of the Evanonvich Stephanie Plum paperbacks I bought at walmart for like 5 bucks. I really like them and considered starting to buy them in ebook. All are 8.99 or 7.99 so I passed. I found five more of the 15 out at a garage sale for .25 cents and scarfed them up. Had the ebook been 5.99 or less I probably would have over time bought them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
I have no problem with denying myself. I got ticked off at Dean Koontz once because he waited 4 years to publish the 3rd book in his Frankenstein series. Didn't buy any of his other books during that time either. That might seem like obsessive behavior to some but I don't need Dean Koontz. He's lost me. Someone finally gave me a copy of it and it's still sitting around, unread. Still haven't bought any new Koontz but have found other authors who have replaced him for me.
I have the same problem with George RR Martin. I read the first three books of the Song of Fire and Ice series and loved every word. Then book four came out and bam what a bummer. (Lousy) Now he's been doing everything under the sun but finishing book five. Book 5 has been about 5 years in the making and still no release date. Heaven forbid he doesn't finish it before football season or we'll wait even 6 more months (read his blog). I'm through with him. I had his first 4 books in large paperback, gave them away and won't bother with book 5 at all. As far as the pending HBO series, I'll boycott that as well.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote