View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
"Mustn't" is definitely a word, Bob.

I think this is a more useful set of criteria than I've encountered before. But let me throw one more category into the mix: Dockable Mobility.

For me, I think the ideal would be a Sony Reader sized device (probably thicker) with current iliad battery life (15 hours, while a bit skimpy for a reading device, is really quite excellent for a portable PC), and some sort of serviceable keyboard, that can pretty much do everything my desktop can, but has a docking station that gives me a full sized keyboard/monitor/mouse set up, plus ports for drives/printers/etc. Ideally I'd like it to recognize when it's on the dock and adjust the display resolution between appropriate settings for the situation -- I want something higher than 800X600 (for instance) on a 19" LCD monitor, but I also want a bit lower than 1280X1024 on a built in 7" screen. (could I even see the start button?!?)

I'm thinking that would give most of the best of both approaches. You have the full functions of a desktop when you want them or need to do 'serious' computing/ebook formatting/gaming/whatever, but when you pick it up and go, you can still easily get to the things you most want while mobile like address book, notes, presentations, GPS Navigation, etc. Plus you can still do most of the heavier stuff (word processing, spreadsheets, coding, etc.) on the go if you really have/want to, just at a reduced level of convenience/efficiency.

And of course when you get to the office, or home, depending on what direction you're headed, you just plop it on the other dock there, and you've got all your files and apps right there, with all the preferences set up the way you like them to do whatever you're doing most efficiently. It always takes me about 3 days to readjust my PC here at work when they give us new ones.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote