Thread: Where to Sell?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Where to Sell?

I'm just about ready to start selling my first commercial ebook. I currently have it nicely formatted in ePub format, bar a few final tweaks, and I'll be able to get a (poorer) version done in Mobipocket without too much trouble that I could then convert with Calibre to other formats if necessary. And I can make a PDF version as well, since I already have files for the print version where the visible page area isn't too much more than a 6" eInk screen.

And I've now found that there's not many places where I can sell it.

Amazon: I'm not in the US, I don't have a US bank account. And anyway, they'd want 65% of the purchase price. With royalties to be paid to the author and illustrator, that leaves very little in the kitty for me!

Mobipocket: Not accepting new publishers, and would also want 65%

Fictionwise: I'm not big enough for them

Smashwords: They seem to only accept ebooks made by using their generic conversion from RTF. Otherwise they seem excellent. There is some mention of Premiun Distribution of ePub that sounds interesting, but there's not much detail on the site about it.

Lulu: Only PDF [EDIT: And now ePub too]

Own site using Google: Yes, but low traffic
Own site using PayPal: Yes, but low traffic

Have I missed anyone? Currently it looks like Smashwords is my best bet, but I dread what's going to happen to my formatting!

All suggestions gratefully received.

[EDIT: A useful resource:

http://ebookarchitects.com/conversions/retailers.php

which lists all current options for selling through retailers.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-18-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Added link to useful web site
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote