View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Excuse me? I agree that in the OP's case that the default series column (and a custom subseries column if necessary) is the proper way to go but I strongly disagree with your statement that series info Does Not belong in the title of a book. I always put the series info into the titles of my books and they work just fine in calibre's library view (I also have the info properly entered in series and subseries columns which is what I use for sorting). This way the series info gets carried over into my JBL. It may not appear in order (it would if I did series name, series number, then title but that would destroy caliber's ability to sort by title) but at least I can still select the next book in a series I am reading. If it is a long series, I can always add the series number to the beginning of each title once I copied the books to the
SD card to make finding the next book easier (I haven't found that necessary yet). I realize it is probably different for Kindle and the way I'm doing it probably won't work (I wouldn't be caught dead using Kindle anyway) but to flat say that series info doesn't belong in the title is just wrong.

In my comic library, I'm using a custom series column that is unnumbered (i.e. Archie Comics, Disney Comics, etc.) and just put the series number in the title (i.e. Jughead and Archie Digest No. 034; the title is essentially a subseries name). It works just fine and is way easier to input. Since the title of each comic is the same for all comics in a subseries, as long as I use three digit numbers for the comic number, they will sort just fine in the title column.
We differ.

The 'Title' is what the Author and the copyright page says it is.

Metadata look-up usually fails to retrieve when extra stuff appears in the 'Title'.
OTOH there are exceptions: Like Magazines, where the title is the same and the Volume# or Issue is part of the copyright
Then there is the 'series' that the author declared "Is Not a Series" (MZB about Darkover. In most cases, there is not a 'reading order')
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote