View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #542
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumeroad View Post
I've gone through 3 PWs and they have all had this issue to one degree or another. To be honest this bothers me more then the rainbow screen, as I am usually reading with decent ambient lighting, so the variable font weight ends up catching my eye.

I am always able to duplicate the issue by looking at the screen where there was blank, white space on the previous page. This is usually from the blank space after the end of a paragraph. Upon turning the page, the font will be bolder where this white space was previously. It is more noticeable with the thinner fonts, such as Palatino. Personally, I think this is a firmware issue, and that Amazon may not really be always doing a full refresh on the screen, even with the "Page Refresh" feature enabled, for performance reasons.

I have noticed it will do a true full refresh whenever there is a decent sized bitmap on the page, similar to how the NST behaves. Just for a test I modified an epub and put a graphic on every page, and the text was always consistent. Not very practical, but it does give me hope that it will be fixed one day.
Thanks for that feedback, I like your theory and will be using it to inform my observations. The fact that it has taken me more than a week to start to really notice it at all means it is probably not that severe. I have seen this sort of thing on my NST, but it was usually because of partial screen refresh, as when options dialog is brought up and dismissed. The refreshed area tends to be bolder, and I found myself wishing normal page refreshes could look as 'good.'

Still, there's going to be a range of severity here, and other users have posted examples here that were much worse than what I'm seeing. So even if it can be addressed with a firmware update, I wonder how likely it would be that a replacement would be better than what I have now.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote