View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Okay, here's the thing that phone/palm/iPod readers aren't taking into account: E-ink displays. The reason I hate reading e-books on a computer/phone/palm/iPod is that stupid backlit screen. E-book readers with E-ink displays are easier on the eyes and for me at least, make for a more pleasant reading experience. I have both a Blackberry 8830 and an Ipaq 1910 (I also had a Jornada at one point), and used them as e-readers for as long as I could stand it. In my opinion, the convenience of the small reader made for an inconvenient read, plus the backlit display was tiresome.

I don't think the iPhone will hurt the dedicated E-reader market at all. If anything I think people might catch a book on an iPhone and then later decide to try out an e-reader like the Sony, Kindle, or Iliad. Once they do, I doubt they'd go back. But each to his own.

It's just that every discussion I've seen about E-readers vs iPhones didn't really take into account the e-ink screen, which is what brought me over to the "e-side" from paper books.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote