View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #51
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
This is not a bad idea. It didn't occur to me that we would need something like that because of course when the user plugs in a device using a cable, the device doesn't say anything. However, in our case where the device has its own UI, perhaps it should.
Initially I didn't see it as only a recipient controlled from within Calibre. Now I'm a little more clear about that. Perhaps you just need a succinct explanation in the Intro. It says it is syncing library and metadata and then it leaves an empty screen. If syncing is taking place, it becomes confusing if the screen remains the same.
While on the topic of syncing, some kind of progression report (bar) is soothing for the impatient user.

Quote:
Does calibre companion still think it is connected? If not, then we might have a timing problem where the phone has disconnected but the server doesn't know it yet. I am not sure what to do about that...
Calibre Companion loses the connection, but Calibre believes they are still connected. When I try to reconnect from CC nothing happens. I have to close the connection in Calibre, re-open it and then connect from CC again in order to establish a connection. I use a D-LINK DIR 655 router if that is relevant.

Quote:
If you were expecting an android implementation of calibre, then sorry, that won't happen. However, see below ...
We plan to add a content server client, which might help here.

I am also looking at being able to talk back to calibre through the device interface. This creates no end of challenges, primarily because calibre is not designed to permit that. There are also several user interface issues that have no obvious resolution. I hope to eventually provide something, but I might fail. We will see.

Not an Android implementation of Calibre, but something that would allow me to access my books in Calibre even when I'm not home. I can do that fine with a USB cable right now as it is (but the WiFi connection is waaay cooler), I would love to connect to Calibre through the Internet when I'm in a boring meeting and read some Dave Barry under the table, when HR people are droning on about the need for sexual harassment seminars.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote