View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Mini Comparison of nookcolor and iPad

I've seen a few threads comparing the nookcolor and iPad. I think they can be compared as far as reading and web browsing, though I wouldn't attempt to compare a dedicated reading device (nookcolor) with a tablet like the iPad or even the Galaxy Tab.

For my comparison I chose the nookcolor stock reader and the Nook iPad app, as well as comparing the stock web browsers in both. This is not comprehensive and mainly consists of screenshots to let you draw your own conclusions. I threw in a screenshot of the iPad's iBooks app since the Nook iPad app is not "the stock" reader for the iPad.

The iPad browser seems much faster than the stock browser on the nookcolor.

Note: When you click on the thumbnails they are displayed within this page in a image viewing app that scales them down. If you click on the image in viewing app the image is opened in another web browser window or tab wherein you can view the image in full size, which is much better.

Image 1: Stock nookcolor web browser. Notice the red arrows I drew to show where the browser screwed up rendering the page. The page being viewed is the nook ebook page from the B&N website.

Image 2: Stock iPad web browser. The page being viewed is the nook ebook page from the B&N website.

Image 3: Page 54 from Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol diplayed on the nookcolor's stock reader.

Image 4: Page 54 from Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol diplayed on the the Nook iPad app. This app can display landscape and use two columns, unlike the nookcolor.

Image 5: A random couple of pages diplayed in iBooks for iPad app in two column landscape.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nookcolor-webpage.png
Views:	618
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	68511   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad-webpage.png
Views:	593
Size:	524.7 KB
ID:	68512   Click image for larger version

Name:	nookcolor-epub.png
Views:	597
Size:	520.1 KB
ID:	68513   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad-epub.png
Views:	616
Size:	570.4 KB
ID:	68514   Click image for larger version

Name:	iBooks.png
Views:	571
Size:	354.8 KB
ID:	68517  

Last edited by jswinden; 03-18-2011 at 03:01 PM.