View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 01:52 PM   #12
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I'd start by removing BD entirely, then doing a clean re-install, starting with the 4.0 distribution files and then applying the most recent update to bring it to 5.0
Been there, done that. Repeatedly. Have also tried with various other updates instead of the most recent. Have manually deleted any & all remaining files after uninstalling and before reinstalling. Have rebooted between uninstalling & reinstalling. Nothing works.

Quote:
I run BD under XP SP2 here, without issues. In my case, Office 2000 is installed, but I don't believe it matters. XP Media Center apparently does have quirks, as I've seen complaints about it elsewhere.
XP Media Center Edition quite literally is Windows XP Professional, with a few added features focussing on media playback & recording. I could possibly understand a few "quirks" related to, say, video or music playback, but I can't imagine why it would affect something text-related.

Quote:
When BD crashes, do you get any diagnostics in Event Viewer? If so, they may provide a clue to what is happening.
______
Dennis
I'm just on lunch break at the moment, so I'll have to take a look when I get home. Interestingly enough, I do recall noticing that the BD crash does not call up the usual MS "report this problem" dialogue box. You can view the details (which seemed to be singularly unhelpful - no simple "fault in such&such.dll") or close - no option to "report & check for solution".

I have a desktop at home running XP MCE as well (came with Vista, which lasted about two weeks before I ordered XP - with token bit of system hardware, of course, so I qualified for the much cheaper OEM version). I didn't really want to put BD on that machine, as it's my dedicated video-editing machine, but I may end up trying it as it's a pretty "clean" box with very minimal software installed, so there's virtually no chance of a software conflict. Testing it on there should at least confirm whether MCE is at fault, and since it doesn't have Word installed at all, I should also be able to tell if the error is the same as with Word 97.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote