View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
Follow CIA Factbook Example

It takes time, but you can open the bible.txt on a computer, select the text in each book, copy each and paste into new, smaller files- named Genesis.txt for example. When done, put each book into a folder called bible and put the folder on the reader. Done a few books at a time, it is worth the effort.

I did this with the Webster's Dictionary (c.a 1913) on Gutenberg- a superb 18,000 page tome in txt, also loaded with words dropped from the language that were used in the late 19th- early 20th century which is much of what I read. The Jetbook would not even open this file ("too big"), and even if it could, it would take forever. I now have a Dictionary folder with 35 files, named for the first word in each file- each about 400 pages long. Each file opens in about 4 seconds and the search for the individual word is instantaneous. After I read the info, I use function 5 to set the file back to page 1 before closing.

It was worth the effort for me. It probably took 4 hours, a piece at a time, and I plan to do the same for a bible (Douay, sorry). Unfortunately, it is difficult to pass this effort on to others, because the dictionary was 35MB. Even zipped, upload time with my slow DSL connection would be prohibitve.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote