View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #51
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Some people are just like dilbert's boss.
Wasn't it:
"like with everything I have no clue about I assume the task is simple and you can do it in 15 minutes."
OMG, yes!

It was, and yes, it's like that in here. If I get asked "can you just 'save as' and give me a Word file from my ePUB/MOBI" (and the "for free" is implicit) once a day, I get asked it 10x weekly. I just had one client's webguy actually ask me that. (???) Nobody, and I mean, nobody understands that there is no such thing as a "mobi editor." And, cranky? Nobody understands how long it takes to make edits in HTML. That's a killer.

And it's a pain, too; we work to a very tight schedule, unlike some of our competitors (not to say they're right and we're wrong, or vice-versa; just...we have fixed delivery dates and they mostly do not). It would be far easier to price edits in a per-hour rate, but it's such a giant PITA to collect and discuss ("it can't possibly take THAT long to make 20 edits!")...man, I can't tell you. We charge by the edit, for that reason. We often lose money on that part of the process, because some edits just take longer than others, but...damn. The line between Customer Service and Sensible Commerce is a very fine one, indeed.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote