Thread: Cover Design
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
Dusty Bottoms
Banned
Dusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipse

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I like the logos. It's making me think more outside the box about what I should do as far as "branding."

What do you think the best dimensions to start with for a cover design are? How big should they be? I'm using 768x1024 px right now. It seems like a good size, maybe too big though.

I'm finding inkscape a bit intimidating right now, but Gimp is a lot more user friendly.

I go slightly narrower at 740x1024px as it just feels the right size to me. Inkscape, like most vector programs, has a narrower role in design. For logos it is a must as you need to scale the logos far more frequently and anything done in the Gimp or any raster based program would come out looking like crap (jagged edges etc). Conversely if you use Inkscape to do covers it always looks a lot crisper but you lose the organic feel you can get from the Gimp. Here are some new covers done in the Gimp which I really couldn't replicate in Inkscape (I tried, believe me )

Oh and make sure you have the SAVE FOR WEB plugin installed in the Gimp, it'll save a lot of headaches down the line if you need to optimise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dazzle.png
Views:	309
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	51781   Click image for larger version

Name:	deader.png
Views:	304
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	51782   Click image for larger version

Name:	red-moon.png
Views:	279
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	51783   Click image for larger version

Name:	blooddawn.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	51786  

Last edited by Dusty Bottoms; 05-18-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote