View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #32
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
"My point is, you generally don't need to carry paper around with you. You can usually find some sort of paper when you need something to write on. I.e., the notion of the napkin in the diner. In contrast, a device, you either have it with you, or you don't; if you don't have it, you can't use it."

Are ebook readers going to replace post it notes, hmmm not this decade.
No one is saying that an ebook reader is going to make all paper obsolete. When you try to make that point your just confusing the issue. What I have not yet figured out is why your trying to do that. But it really doesn't matter in the long term.

Are ebooks and readers going to replace the mass market paperback market of which 60% are wasted without being read? Yep, and quicker than you might think too. I think the majority of us see that the end is nearing for paper distribution of books. Mass market paperbacks will in my opinion be the first to go.

But there is a huge difference between paperbacks and post it notes, or even printer paper for that matter. No one that I know of is saying that paper as paper is going to disappear off the face of the earth this decade.

BTW no one has any real idea what kind of device could come out in the next 6 - 8 years that truly could do away with paper. Who knows it could be all voice recognition or directly picking up brain waves both in and out. It might write notes, keep your calendar, watch your diet, make your phone calls, let you read your books and send all your data to some corporation for determining the best advertising campaign. Look back at what innovation has occurred in the last 10 years, then project that forward 10 years.

Paper will go the way of the dinosaur, just a question of when.

Last edited by GhostHawk; 09-28-2010 at 02:59 PM.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote