View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
darron
Enthusiast
darron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with others

Device: Kindle DX
jft: yeah, that's about it. Just copy the su.sh hotkey script in /usr/local/Trolltech/hotkey-scripts to some other hotkey combination, and point to your app.

The fiveway as a pointer is pretty bad. It's a worse hardware interface than the keyboard in that the keyboard at least can track multiple keys at once. The fiveway will release say the up key when it starts with the left key... so you can't even go diagonally. I tried to implement a little pointer acceleration, but the delay with the screen updates makes it pretty hard to use.

A generic text implementation would need some popup menu for the symbol key... I don't implement that in the keyboard driver. About the only place Sudoku would have benefited was the save game text boxes, so I haven't done that yet. I may take a stab at it in the same app.

You can do whatever you want with the screen now.

The only serious limitation is really in that the Java framework currently has to be shut down and restarted when you quit your app. It'd be nice if there was a little Java booklet that would let you select apps, and throw up a blank screen that never updated so the framework wouldn't have to be killed... although making sure it quit last and allowed the home screen to repaint correctly might be a little tricky. I also thought about altering the display, keyboard, and fiveway Linux drivers to allow one handle to disable all the others temporarily...

I also don't currently have any hooks into notification that the device is going to sleep. Without the framework, there's no screensaver. So, it could look to the user like it locked up. Sudoku throws up a "your Kindle may be asleep" screen at 4 minutes and 50 seconds without keyboard activity.

If you forget to wire up your script correctly, then F + W does that for you. N + F if you forget to shut it down first.
darron is offline   Reply With Quote