View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #43
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's the books with the half-naked man on the cover type of romance that I think is the reason romance gets dissed. When romance is mentioned, those are the types of books most people think about. And as long as those types of books are published, romance will always be dissed.

Now, can you give us some good recommendations for romance that does not include any cover that has a half-naked man, no cowboys, no Nascar, no construction workers. None of the books the frustrated housewife would read.
The list would be too long. Only a small percentage have those type of covers or would be sexy. Romance is such a large genre. There are so many facets to it. It all depends on why type or Romance novel you are looking for? Small town? Romantic Suspense? Romantic Comedy? Historical? Paranormal? Vampires? Okay no Vampires...just kidding. although one of my favorite series is Lara Adrian's Breed series. (alien vampires) If you grew up with Marvel you will love the books! They are a bit gritty though. Another superhero series is the Bigtime Series by Jennifer Estep. This one is more cheesy and pretty funny if you like that type of thing.

For Romantic Suspense try Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooter series or Linda Howard, Kay Hooper, Sandra Brown, Iris Johansen, Heather Graham and Tami Hoag.

I prefer more lighter romantic suspense stories so I read Julie Miller, Debra Webb and other Harlequin Intrigue books.

For Funny Romance there is Jennifer Crusie, Susan Donovan, Susan Elizabeth Phillips and Julie James.

Historicals there is Diana Gabaldon, Mary Balogh, Loretta Chase, Shannon Donnelly, Lynn Kurland, Carla Kelly, Nancy Bulter...the list could go on.

I read romance. It's pretty much all I read. I get alot of flack about it too but I don't care. I proudly display my books in my living room. Some do have the bodice ripper look to it some have pretty flowers and some have cool houses on them or other objects. There are so many kinds of covers.

I prefer Romance books with good plot, good characterization and a bit of intrigue that will keep me reading. Depending on the mood I may want funny or an action packed adventure to go with it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote