View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #71
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
Nah, deciding not to play the Dixie Chicks because they didn't like their political message on publicly owned airwaves is a form of censorship. Unless, of course, you are of the opinion that corporations have more rights than people. I tend to think that the Dixie Chicks have as much right to free speech as I do, and being censored solely because of my political views, be it by governments or corporations, is intolerable.

Returning to the original intent of this topic, if a website decides not to sell hard-core erotica, that is their decision. And as long as they impose that rule for everyone evenly its a decision I can support. If they decide not to sell certain hard-core erotica because they don't like the author's religion, color, or political views, then it is not a decision I can support.
While I agree with the general position here, what would you think if the decision to sell/not sell were based on content that is about religion/race/politics and not when those factors are expressed outside that content (a la the DT's politically inoffensive music getting pulled for political views they expressed on stage)?

Should a site have to sell Mein Kampf? Or Michael Moore's books? Or books by Marx? What if they decide to carry no politically-oriented books of any persuasion?

I'm a big proponent in freedom of expression for individuals, but when you dig into it, many of these decisions have to made on a case-by-case basis.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote