View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 04:03 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by karyan View Post
Thank you. It's good to know that what I want to do is actually possible.

I've made more progress. After fixing the epub, especially the .opf file, with a plain text editor, it can now be load into Tobi with a clean EPUB 3 check and without losing the SMIL files. (And it runs using Readium, but not Azardi.)

So I have a 90K word document synced at the paragraph level and a second version that I started to break into sentences.
We don't use a tool; we make our SMIL's by hand. We have to synch word-to-word for iBooks, so I can't help you with any shortcuts for synching to paragraphs/lines/larger chunks, although I can't see that it would be spectacularly different. {shrug}. We make the SMIL-synch portion of the ePUB last, for the same reasons that you've highlighted herein; no editors for the whole package.

Moreover, there are so few readers for this type of product, although Alpe's company apparently made the investment to create a tool, I wouldn't do it at mine. If we had a much larger demand for this type of work, of course, we would, but the demand for it, at least at my shop, is negligible. We did 24 titles in the fall-winter of last year, and another....5? 7? this year, so we have made about the same number as Alpe's shop, which I think probably is indicative of demand. The 24 last winter was anomalous, I would normally not expect our shop to do more than 10 a year, not at this point in time, not until more reading devices/apps support it.

Best of luck to you!

Just my $.02.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote